Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Spring!


Spring has sprung! Penny and I have been just elated with this weather and how verdant our backyard has become. Penny just loves being outside in the fresh air. She can run, jump and pounce on things without the fear of snow or hard ground and she loves it. Also, now that the grass is luscious, all of Penny's toys roll a little bit faster. I think she likes the challenge though. 

Spring has always been a time of reckoning for my family. My mother and I, who both work at an elementary school, start to slow down in the amount of work we have to do. My dad, who is a plumber, doesn't have a lot of work because most people don't use their heating systems in the spring. We have all a little bit of extra time, which is certainly nice in order to actually enjoy dinner together! It is lovely to be able to take the time to sit together and talk about the day's activities. I challenge you to sit and talk with your parents one night, sometimes they actually have interesting things to say!

Vocabulary:
Spring has sprung (idiom): Spring has begun!
Elated (verb): extremely excited for something
Verdant (adjective): green in color
Luscious (adjective): delightfully full
Reckoning (verb): reviewing your actions

Vocabulary Exercise:
The verbs and adjectives I used as vocabulary this week all have different meanings. Go to this website and use the search bar to find other meanings of this week's vocabulary. Write down the other meanings.

Grammar Point:
In this post I used parallel verb structure, meaning that all of my verbs were created the same way i.e. run, jump and pounce.

Grammar Exercise:
Describe spring activities that you enjoy doing outside. Be sure to use parallel structure when writing about these activities!

1 comment: