Monday, May 6, 2013

College

One year ago this weekend, I graduated from college. It is chilling to think that it has been an entire year since I lived in Massachusetts, in a dorm room with four of my closest friends, surrounded by people I laugh, cried and had fun with.
My college roommates and I at graduation
It's funny to me to compare the 18 year old I was at the beginning of my time there to the woman I am now. It is amazing to review the journey I have taken. I think the most important part of my journey were the lessons I have learned along the way. College is a time for growth and understanding of yourself and your values. College is a time to pretend to be an adult but still have all the silly fun that young people have along the way. This is why I believe it is so pivotal to go to college. Whether it is a two year college, summer program or four year bachelors program, find a way to enjoy yourself while getting an education! There are many scholarships out there, often you must write an essay to receive one, but the money you could receive would greatly lessen the cost of attendance. In this day and age young people are expected to grow up so quickly it is astounding. Take the time to look into if college is for you! You never know what will happen if you put your mind to something!


Vocabulary:
chilling (adjective): weird, different
growth (verb): personal development
pivotal (noun): very important
Whether (conjunction): showing a choice will follow
lessen (verb): lower
astounding (adjective):amazing

Vocabulary Exercise:
Cloze- fill in the correct vocabulary word

I am taking classes for personal _____________ in the English language.
It is ______________ that you read the directions before you begin writing.
__________________ you enjoy baseball or football, being at either game is really fun.
It was ____________________ listening to the fortune teller.
Watching the man walk the tight rope high above the crowd was ____________________.


Grammar Point:
Many words used in this post are homophones, or words that when said sound the same but are spelled differently and mean different things. Whether is a homophone with weather. Four is a homophone with for. 

Grammar Exercise:
Use homophones in a sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment