Thursday, February 28, 2013

Can you hear the people sing?

Although it is obvious that eventually I will become a teacher and hopefully have a successful career, I don't believe that a person's career defines them. I have come to find that most of the time a person can better be defined by simply discovering their hobbies. Not many people I have met and become acquainted with here in New York know that I am a classically trained singer and as a hobby I continue to sing in a jazz band as well as  play other gigs that I come across. I know that in life I probably won't have the opportunity to be the next Adele or BeyoncĂ©, but singing has always been a passion of mine that continues to make me happy every single day. In college I was blessed to be a part of my campus' all female a cappella group, aptly named 'Major Treble'. With that lovely group of women we created new harmonies of old songs and combined old harmonies to create new songs. Some of my greatest memories of college took place with my a cappella group. If you would like to view my group in action please click here. 
Anything with music strums on my heart strings, especially when music is included in movies. It was a breath of fresh air this year to see that one of my favorite musical films, Les Misérables , was nominated for a plethora of awards. I was incredibly lucky to see the fantastic musical on Broadway when I was young and I had the opportunity to sing various pieces from the score over the years. Last night the Oscars had a special tribute to a majority of the Academy Award winning musicals from over the past 10 years. I was so impressed that these professional pretenders could deliver should goose bump inducing entertainment. It made me smile from ear to ear. I am so lucky to have one of my hobbies bring me such joy. Find something that gives you this same joy, it makes my life whole each day.

Vocabulary
career (noun)- the job you choose, typically after receiving higher education
hobby (noun)- interest that is not related to your job and is done during your free time
play other gigs (idiom)- to participate in other shows or events
a cappella (noun)- to sing without any background music or sounds
strums on my heart strings (idiom)- makes you happy by thinking of something you like
plethora (noun)- a lot of
Broadway (proper noun)- a street in New York City that has many different theaters holding different plays, many times musicals




Vocabulary Exercise Use each of the vocabulary words in a sentence. 

Grammar Point
This post is written in the first person, meaning that a lot of sentences begin or talk about the subject, I. 

Grammar Exercise
Write about your hobbies and interests. Talk about why you are interested in the hobby and how you came to enjoy doing the hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment